One part of our project focuses on eye-tracking (ET) individual differences in math skills. As most of the team members are quite new in this field, last autumn we decided to first conduct a pilot study with some university students, in order to learn well the basics of conducting this type of research. Later on in autumn, we collected the first ET data with the children participating the project.
Between and after the data collections, we have familiarized ourselves more with the programs that can be used for analyzing eye-tracking data. To learn even more, some of the team members just spent a couple of days in Uppsala, digging into the data more in detail, guided by one of the collaborators expert in the ET field.
The data files, which we initially get as the results of ET trials, are full of numbers, making not that much sense at first glance. With the first data set, we are mostly interested in looking at pupil dilations during the math tasks. Our collaborator guided us using TimeStudio for this purpose. After some work with TimeStudio, the data looked such that it could be used for further statistical analyses.
Results, the ones you either expect or not, often raise interesting and inspiring discussions with your colleagues – this time as well. These discussions are definitely one of the greatest and most fruitful moments in doing research.
Plans for the first ET article were set, so the work goes on! The data from the core project with children will be exciting to start to work with a bit later on.